Friday, January 2, 2009

I Guess I Have to Start Life Sometime...

I think that it's appropriate to begin discussing my graduation from college, being that it's only 17 weeks away. Not too much, just enough to get the wheels of plan-making turning. I don't want to talk about it too much, really. I don't want to think about it. Yes, it's a happy time, it's a wonderful accomplishment, it's a well-deserved rite of passage. But it's also a figurative gateway, and once I pass through it, I will be standing out there- in the real world. I must find a job, and apparently I should have already begun looking. I can't stand job-hunting for entry level positions in retail, so imagine how I'm going to feel when the birth of my career is on the line! I have a faint vision of Michael Squints Palledorous saying "Forever... Forever... ForevER!"

And even the commencement ceremonies seem so very far away. I still need to pay my tuition and buy my books for the upcoming semester, I will have papers to write, illustrations to create, dresses to make, and a fashion show to plan before it is all over. I have weekend trips to Florida, Ocean City, and Brooklyn to plan. I'll have awful all-nighters, crazy parties, and TV marathons of Lost and Project Runway to watch between now and then. And what should be the least of my concerns, tentative mini-vacation to Montego Bay for a vicarious friend's wedding (I'd be going more for Jamaica than for the vicarious friend, although it is so romantic!) conflicts with commencement rehearsal and would have me back home the day before the ceremonies! Of course, Montego Bay is as exciting as a cap and gown to me. No worries, my family, no matter what, I will walk on Sunday, May 10. I have included the link to my wonderful University's commencement information site. Notice it hasn't been updated since last year, so the dates are wrong, but the basic information is still the same: the location, the maps, hotel and parking accommodations. I will alert you all when the Pro-DIY Marymount Officials get it together. I can't wait to see you all, and I want you to know how much I appreciate your support throughout my college career. Love you!

2 comments:

Peggy said...

We couldn't be prouder, Lindsey! It's hard to believe it's time to graduate already! Regarding beginning at the bottom in fashion, there is nothing saying you have to... after all, persistence coupled with creativity can be pretty powerful. Just remember: if you do what other people aren't willing to do, you can have what other people don't have. Now there's a life lesson! Go get em, Boover!

Bright Spirit said...

I love your blog, Linds. One of the things I now know about blogs is that I feel as though I know the writer in a very different way ... their processes, their opinions, what they love, how they see the world. Thanks for sharing your life in this way with me and those who love you. When I started reading your graduation blog I was thinking "how exciting that all (your) work and sacrifices, (your) ups and downs and (your) commitment to learning has culminated in this one event". (Lots of clapping and cheering in the background!) Suddenly tears welled up. Thoughts of your life and experiences came to my mind ... and my heart. Being able to share your life to the degree that I have has been such a blessing to me, Linds. I am so grateful. I love you so much and am so proud of who you have become. If Grandma Kay were here, she and I would be crying together! Maybe this is just practice for your actual BIG DAY. I'll bring lots of tissues. OGWO